Tuesday, February 2, 2010

9 years

It has been 9 years since I had a life changing night. I was planning on going to the movies with some friends and before I knew it I was putting on a dress going on a blind date. First thing I asked was if he was short because I had my tall shoes on. When my friend Sara walked in the door with 2 guys I just prayed I wasn't going out with the bald one. I wasn't. I learned his name was Nate and off we went to dinner. During dinner I found out he was the son of my 8th grade math teacher, Mrs. Powell. That didn't throw me off too much, I'd liked her as a teacher. He worried that I was one of those girls that didn't eat and I assured him that I wasn't, that I had just eaten before, I hadn't been planning on going to dinner. We made it to the Institute Valentine's Dance at UVSC and danced the night away! I remember coming out of the restroom after asking my friend if she thought it was going well to him sitting on a bench. I sat by him and he did the yawn and stretch to put his arm around me. I started laughing so hard! One, I had never had that happen to me before and Two, I didn't think boys really did that other than in the movies. After the dance no one wanted to go home so we went to someones apartment where like 12 people were and talked and laughed like crazy. He held my hand for the first time on the way there and I felt shivers all up my arm. He asked how old I was and I asked how old he though I was. Sara had told him I was 21 so I said I could be 21 for the night. (I was only 18 but when he told me he as 23 I was a little taken back and I didn't want him to not like me because I was younger.) It was 2 o'clock in the morning when he finally got me home and I was a little disappointed that he didn't try to kiss me. I woke my mom up and told her all about my night and all about the boy named Nate. She knew than that he was the one I was going to marry. (Of course she didn't tell me that then.) What a night to remember! I'll never forget it because I'm sure that was the night I fell in love. He won my heart that night and he still does to this day. He knows how to make me laugh and knows just what I need to hear. His hand in mine makes everything better and his hugs are healing. I love him as much today as I did back then and it grows with every year we have together. I love you Nate! Thanks so much for being willing to go on a blind date 9 years ago. I know I am.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Never heard the story of how you two met and it is a great one! I truly could picture you smiling so big and being so so very happy that night. Thanks for sharing and I am so glad you got a great guy.

Glade and Diane Powell said...

Happy anniversary. We are thinking of you and the new baby - let us know asap when she arrives.