Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1st day of School *Updated*

Today is the first day of school and let me tell you, I was not ready for it. I was ready for my kids to go to school to give them something to do all day but I was not ready for the stress of getting two kids ready for two different schools and then getting them there at the same time.

Tucker was accepted into an Accelerated Learning Lab, or ALL class for 3rd grade. Which means he will be doing a lot of 4th grade school work. He is so excited for it! He will be with this same class next year too. Then for 5th there might be a chance for more kids to come in because they retest for 5th grade. The only bad thing is, the school that he has to go to is in Saratoga Springs. Nate drove it and it is 5 miles from our house. So we have gotten him on a bus that will take him. But the bus stop is still in Saratoga Springs and it is 2 miles away. With both boys going at the same time, this bus thing was the best for timing wise. I can drive Tucker down to the bus stop and then drive back and drop Thad off. They both get there on time and I don't have to stress with all the road work going on Redwood Road.
Tucker
Thad
My two boys ready for their first day of 3rd and 1st grade
Thad was up and dressed, ate breakfast, brushed his teeth and had his backpack on all before 8 o'clock. He has been looking forward to this day ever since Tucker was in 1st grade. As you can see, I didn't worry about getting the girls ready today at all, it was all about the boys.
All three of my boys started school today. Nate is taking a few classes too. So at 8:30, we all headed out the door. We drove by Thad's school on the way over to the bus stop and he got nervous that I was forgetting to take him to his school. Once we got there, I started freaking out! What if I got him to the wrong bus stop! What if they don't let him on! What if they don't feed him lunch! What if he misses the bus on the way home! It was a long 5 minute wait. But the bus came, he got on and away my baby went. ( a few tears here thinking about it) Then back the way we came to drop of Thad off, (real tears here. For some reason it has always been harder for me to send Thad off to school more than Tuck. I worry so much about him.) Back at home with just the girls the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. No boys upstairs talking, no neighbors coming over to play and no fighting.

Now I can't wait to go pick them up and find out how the first day of school went!

*Update*
I just had to post some of the things that Thad and Tucker had to say after their first day of school. Thad was the first kids out of school and ran right up to the car. I asked what he did for the first day and was told, "I had too much recess!" He was so disappointed. Silly kid! He is looking forward to homework, now if only I can have him be this excited his whole life! Tucker LOVES his class! He may only know one girl and she is at the stage where it is un-cool to have friends that are boys, but I know he will have a ton of friends soon. He loves the class so much that I don't worry about him too much.

3 comments:

Becky Gockley said...

What an experience the first day of school is! I sent Riley and was so sad all day. I missed him! It was nice to hear no fighting in the house though!

Kathryn said...

It's great to have them excited to go to school. I'm surprised if Norma hasn't asked about when she gets to go. I hope it's been a good day for the whole family!

Amy Conklin said...

That Tucker is quite the "smarty pants"! They look so cute! I can't believe how fast the summer went!