Thursday, August 5, 2010

Flooding

I just had to write about the flood, just so we can remember it in years to come. Last Saturday, just as Nate was coming home around 5pm, we started having a rain storm. I was sitting out on the porch with Kate enjoying it. I love the rain! The kids wanted to take a "shower" in the rain and I told them they could. Just as they were going out in it, the wind picked up, it started hailing, you could barely see across the road with the rain and wind just coming down! We came in and pulled up the blinds to watch from inside and that is when I noticed you couldn't see the road! It was 18 inches under water and just in less than a min. Neighbors started running out to the drain, (which happen to be right in front of our house) to try and clear them. Now if you go back here, you will see that we have had all kinds of water problems with our yard before so Nate sent me down stairs to check our basement for flooding. I ran down there and went to the windows that we have had problems with before and they were just fine. I turned to come up and report the good news when I saw water just POURING into one of the window wells! I went running to tell Nate, set the baby on the floor upstairs and raced back down to start moving the few things that were not plastic to the other parts of the basement. We are so lucky that most everything is in rubbermaid totes. I had to move my craddle that my Dad made me as a baby and the blanket box from my Grandpa Montag but everything else was plastic. Then Nate and about 15 other men from our neighborhood went house to house emptying window wells that were full of water. There were some in the neighborhood that had it much worse than us. To see go here.

Then Wednesday came. We were up at the airport, (post on that tomorrow) and saw how hard it was raining there and worried about our house again! We were fine but to see what it did to our neighbors again go here.

I can not believe what the rain has done here! I love thunder and rain storms, but last night I woke to every thunder and lighting and every rain drop that hit our window and didn't sleep much. We have neighbors that are moving out of their house as we speak because the flooding has done so much damage to their foundation and footings. One neighbor had their main water main break going into their house because of the flooding made their lawn settle and bust a pipe. I just want to cry for everyone that is dealing with all this water and feel so blessed to only have 3 inches in my basement and nothing damaged but some insulation that can be replaced when we finish the basement. Yes, our backyard is washed out and our garden is gone, but we are not having to move out of our home.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds like this is very intense and I am so glad to hear your positive attitude and gratitude for your blessings.

Kristine said...

Oh so sad :( I didn't know someone's water main broke! That's horrible. Its so strange how some houses got hit so hard and others were just kind of bypassed. Both my neighbors basements flooded, but we didn't get anything. (knock on wood) what a blessing!

John P Parry said...

I saw on our news what was going on where you live. We hope it doesn't happen again. Guess there isn't much we can do. Let us know if there is. Grandpa Parry

Becky Gockley said...

Wow! I am so glad you guys are okay. That is really sad and hard to watch your neighbors suffer though! I hope everything works out okay.

Becky said...

I had wondered (seeing your house flooded previously) if this was part of your neighborhood and I worried. I'm glad you guys didn't get it as bad as others. That's just terrible!

Becky said...

I also love the rain, thunder and lightening. But wasn't enjoying waking up to it every night and having a hard time sleeping because of it.