Monday, May 3, 2010

Blessing Day

We blessed little Kathryn yesterday. I wish the weather had been as nice as the day that Tucker was baptized though. But it was a wonderful day. Nate gave her a beautiful blessing, blessing her with intelligence and a thirst for knowledge. Those that stood in the circle are Nate, Papa, Uncle Jered, Zac and my uncle Rick.

Now for the story on her blessing dress. It is the one that my mom was blessed in and I was blessed in it also. It really hit me that this dress was 50 years old. My mom has kept it in such good condition. When my mom was born her Grandma Hjorth told my mom's mom,(my Grandma Thomas, sorry to confuse you) that this baby (my mom, she was the third daughter) needed a pioneer blessing dress. If you look closely in the above picture you can see the little slip that goes underneath the dress. The picture below is a close up of the top of the dress. It is so beautiful!
It is hard to think that all three of us wore this tiny dress and that we were ever this small. We all wore pink booties too. The dress is ivory and so it was really hard to find shoes to match it. They kept falling off at the church before the blessing so she was blessed bare foot. It was really cute.
Kate and her Nana

What a beautiful baby! You can see the slip really well in this picture. I truly hope that this dress will last another 25 years so that if Kate chooses to use it she can. I may not have choose to have my first daughter wear it, but it was perfect for this daughter! Kate is so wonderful to have in our family. We are lucky that she is ours. Aunt Kathryn took a whole bunch of pictures too. I'll post them too once she gets them developed.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Aaw, she's precious! That's really cool about the heirloom dress.

John P Parry said...

Guess I wasn't up on my Blogs. I am sorry I missed the blessing. Love Grandpa Parry

Becky said...

That's so cool the dress has been around so long and in such great condition.