Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I wanted to write down some of my memories of this day 10 years ago.  I'm sure that everyone remembers just what they were doing at the time the planes hit the towers.  I remember this day like it was yesterday.

I was just sitting down to eat my cereal before going to work.  I was living with my in-laws and I was watching cartoons.  I was so happy to be living in a house with cable so I could watch Loony Tunes when ever I wanted.  My Mom called me and asked me if I was watching the news.  "Mom, I live in a house with cable, I'm watching cartoons." I told her laughing.  She yelled to me to turn on the news quick.  That a plane had just hit a building in New York.  I turned on the news just as my Mom was saying, "Oh my God!  There is another plane!"  And together we watched in horror as the second plane hit.

It was a very long day at work.  Most of us stayed in the office watching the news.  I had so many thoughts going through my head.  One was, "What if my husband gets called up and has to go to war?"  "Will they do a call up like they did?"  Then I was brought to my knees thinking of the baby growing inside of me and the horrific knowledge that I was not sealed to the love of my life. Or the child growing inside of me.  I prayed so hard that day.  All I could think after that was, "Please don't take my husband away from me."

I don't remember much more about that day other than there was a concert that we were suppose to be going to.  Kris, Nate's mom, sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and had given Nate and I, and my Mom, Dad and little brother Gerald tickets to come see it.  Gerald had needed to see a concert for school.  We weren't sure that there still would be a concert.  It wasn't anything public, it was for some big-wig people. 

We went and I had never been in the balcony before and we were right over the stage on the right.  I remember being so close.  When President Hinkley walked in the room went quite.  The rest of the Presidency was there and the spirit in that building was so strong and over powering.  President Hinkley spoke.  I wish I could remember what he said.  I just remember feeling peace.  And knowing that it would be okay.

They ended up dedicating the concert to the people that had lost their lives that day and to all the other people working and fighting to save lives.  After the concert we all stood.  You could have heard a pin drop.  We just stood there.  No one left.  The Choir started singing, "Come, Come Ye Saints".  They sang more and the whole room sang along.  The Spirit of the Lord poured out on us all.

Back then, my husband worked at a tire store.  Now he is out there daily.  Doing what he loves and I am scared for today to come.  I'm praying for peace in all our homes and hearts.  That we will never forget the lives that were lost that day and the years following because of that day.  10 years later and I can still remember the peace that the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints brought to my heart and mind that day.  It brings peace to my soul today.

The choir is doing a special.  You can go here to see the details.  I know I'll be watching and remembering.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for helping us all remember the peace that comes only from our Heavenly Father and Savior through he Holy Ghost. That peace cannot be given us any other way. I am grateful to know the source to which we can all go for that blessing. And to know that God speaks to us through his prophet.