Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kate is here!

Kathryn Kristine Powell joined our family at 7:25 p.m. March 3, 2010. Wednesday morning Nate and I got to the hospital around 7 am. My doctor had me started on just a little bit of pitocin and by a quarter to 9 she had come in and broke my water. I made it to around 2'o clock before I was ready for an epidural. There were at least 3 other ladies all asking for it at the same time so it took a while for her to get to me. So I was VERY ready when she came. It didn't WORK! I had to wait for almost an hour more before she could come back and re-do it. It was not a fun experience and I don't know how you that go through labor do it without. I have the most respect for you!
Right before 6 p.m. I was at an 8. They had me flip to my other side and a little after 7 I was pushing. It was my fastest labor yet and the quickest delivery. Kate came out wide eyed. She was the littlest, pinkest thing I have every seen! The cord was to short to have her right up on my belly after she was born so Nate had to cut the cord quick so I could hold her.

She weighs a whopping 7 lbs 1 oz! (The picture was a little quick.) My smallest baby by a pound! She is only 18 1/2 inches long too! My last and smallest!
I truly felt everyone's prayers and thoughts! I had been praying for things to go well for so long and was very concerned about having to have another c-section. I know that Heavenly Father heard all the prayers in my behalf. I didn't even need to go on oxygen or have an internal monitor placed on the baby. Her heart rate was amazing through the whole labor and things just worked out. Thank you to everyone!

I have never got to keep my babies so long after their delivery. They didn't come take her til 9 p.m. Which gave the kids plenty of time to come see her and me time to nurse her for the first time. I called my aunt Kathryn (Kate's namesake) to let her know that we had gotten the baby here. She had spent the night to be with the kids and to make sure they got to school. I got to talk to Thadd first and tell him that his sister was here. He was excited and couldn't wait to come see her. Then Norma got on the phone. She is such a doll! I almost couldn't hear Tucker or Kathryn after that because Norma was in the back ground yelling, "My sister's here! Baby Kate is here!"
Kate is such a good baby so far! She hardly cries and really hasn't done much but sleep since she got here. She was very much awake to meet her siblings and after her bath she has just slept. Nate can't put her down. I was teasing him that she was going to be spoiled and he said that I had gotten to hold her for 9 months and now it was his turn. Oh dear! We are going to have one spoiled little princess on our hands if neither one of us can put her down.
We are so blessed to have this baby in our lives. She is very loved already and has made our family complete.

17 comments:

Bonnie said...

I teared up a little in this post because it is just such a happy story. She is so cute! I don't think I have seen newborn pics of your other kids so this was a treat. Thanks for sharing your story:) I am so glad she came so fast. She is so cute and perfect. Congratulations:)

BTW that picture with you holding her and the kids watching is so awesome! I think that will be a family favorite in years to come.

strickland party of six said...

so cute i love the soap on her from her bath, she is sweet... so glad things went good so sorry that is your fastest, ugg!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful...and very alert. Love her name. 2 girls, 2 boys - pretty awesome.

jaclyn weist said...

She is adorable!! Congrats! I'm glad everything went so good for you!!!

Larkin said...

What a doll! Congrats :)

Peter and Katie said...

Congrats you guys! She looks just like the rest of the kids, so cute. Can't wait to see her in person, what a cutie.

John P Parry said...

I appreciated the call from Nathan. Had someone in with me so couldn't talk too long. We are glad she is here. Hope both of you are doing well. Love You Grandma and Grandpa Parry

FitzSimmons Times said...

Yay! A healthy, beautiful baby girl!! Congratulations! So glad that you are both doing well. Good Luck!

Dan and Courtney Beck said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl. Glad to hear that all went well.

Glade and Diane Powell said...

Congratulations! Kate is a beautiful baby. Wish we could be there to hold her. Give her a kiss for us! You have a wonderful family. We love you all.

Rusty and Jessica Terry said...

YAY, Congrats. She made it here, she is so dang cute. Hope you and Kate are doing well

Lisa said...

She is beautiful! Congrats!!! I can't wait to see this little princess!

CORY AND ABBY said...

Bobby congratualtions she is so adorable. How is everyone adjusting to her being there? How are you adjusting so far?
As far as Taegyn's hair goes, I bribe her to sit there while I do her hair. I stick her in front of a movie tell her I'll give her some gum when I'm done and let her know that she'll look like a princess. LOL. Let me know if you need anything. I will try to drop of some apples to you tomorrow!

Amy Conklin said...

Bobby! She is so cute! We'd like to bring you dinner this week. Do you also need any help with your kids? Glad everything went well.

Heidi Coole said...

She is beautiful! I'm glad the delivery was as good as it could be (well without the drugs working...) Nathan does have a good point with you had her for 9 months ;) haha

Christen said...

Congratulations! What a little beauty. I love her name so much. Can't wait to watch her grow! Hope you are recovering well and getting some sort of rest!

Kristine said...

Oh that is so cute! I love birth stories! And seriously, pitocin seems to produce WAY stronger labor pains than natural birth :) Glad she got here safe and quick for you!