Saturday, February 9, 2013

Hard to Tell the Truth

Nate and I love that we can run errands and leave Katy with Tucker.  We needed to go to Smith's and I didn't think to clearly when I told Norma that if she finished cleaning up the living room she could play on the Kindle while we were gone.  I pulled it out and left it on the table for her and we left.  Forgetting that I need to put in the pass code for her to even open it.  I had found out the day before when Katy had tried to get on without my help, that if you push to many buttons it tells you that it is resetting the Kindle to the original settings.  I had caught it just in time the day before.

We came home and I sat at the table to pull up my text book that I have downloaded to the Kindle, only to turn it on and see that it had been reset.  I was so mad!  I knew it had been Katy because of what had happened the day before and there were chocolate cake finger prints all over it.  I made her sit on a time out while I tried to see if I could save everything that had been lost.  That is when I hear Tucker from his bedroom, (where he was playing) that it had been Norma.  The light bulb came on in my mind.  I remembered what I had told her before leaving.  I hate being so absent minded. 

I turn to Norma and she is just sitting there and I asked her if she had reset the Kindle.  She bursts into tears and said yes.  "It was really hard to tell you the truth."  Never have I been prouder of my girl.  I hugged her and had her tell me what happened.  I asked if she didn't read the Kindle when it said it was going to reset if she kept pushing buttons.  She said no.  I just told her next time if she doesn't know what it says to stop doing anything and ask for help.

It was a learning experience for the both of us.  Me to learn to take a breath and get the whole story from everyone and Norma to tell the truth from the beginning.

2 comments:

Becky Gockley said...

Way to go NORMA! I am so excited for her to have had this experience. My kids still struggling with telling the truth sometimes. I am proud of her!

Kathryn said...

Thanks for sharing this learning experience. It isn't easy to tell the truth. I'm so proud of Norma to do so when asked and for your reaction to ask her to tell you what happened and teach what to do different if it happens again.