Friday, October 8, 2010

Nate's mission

During family home evening last night Nate said something about his mission. The kids were confused and asked if he meant Gearld's mission. They had no idea that their Dad had served a mission. So Nate spent half an hour looking for his mission pictures down stairs and then we spent the rest of the night looking through them. I wanted to share a few that we found.

This is from before he left on his mission. This is of Wayne and Norma Powell. Nate just happened to have made Grandma Norma's banana cake for our FHE treat and it was wonderful to show Norma her namesake. The kids all remembered Grandpa Wayne and said that they missed him. We were able to tell them that they were in Heaven together now. I was so excited to see this one! I love Elder Holland and so see that Nate had his picture taken with him so so cool!
The rest of these pictures are of Gram's. I have heard so many stories about Gram's. Nate just loved this little old lady. She was never baptized but she let the missionaries live in her apartment that was attached to her house. And every night, the missionaries had to come and sing her hymns before bed.
I loved listening to Nate talk about his mission. There were some stories that I had never heard and some pictures that I have never seen, ( he wouldn't let me put some up:) ) and it was so good to hear him tell his boys how important missions are and I'm so glad that my boys are wanting to serve a mission when they grow older.

4 comments:

Peter and Katie said...

I'm loving the vest and knee socks! What a great fhe.

Kathryn said...

I love the pictures and stories. I'm sure the whole family loved it. How fun for Norma to 'meet' Norma.

Becky Gockley said...

What a special night. I am sure it will be something they remember and will impact them in the years to come. It was fun seeing those pictures. That is exactly how I remember Nathan looking. Your boys look just like him!

Glade and Diane Powell said...

It was nice to see a picture of Mom and Dad. It was fun to see you as a missionary again.