Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer BBQ

We had our neighbors over for a BBQ tonight and I feel really dumb because I wanted to take a picture of all the good things we made.  Hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, soda, salad, corn on the cob and potato fries.  All I got pictures of was the Ice Cream. :0)

I talked about the ice cream that Jered and Stephanie made up camping.  It really was That good.  I thought that we might have a maker down stairs and I really wanted to make some.  Nate found this.
We got this maker from Grandpa Powell's house when he moved.  It has been in our basement since.  We have never used it.  It looked really good and we looked for a date of when it was made.  After a little research, Nate found out that it was made in 1976.  The rock salt has a sale date on the bottom for 12-75.  How cool is that!  The recipe book is full of recipes that you put 6-8 eggs in it.!!!  I didn't know that ice cream has eggs.  We just used the recipe that we got from Steph.

We read how to get the best ice cream, what Grandpa had underlined about how to use it and plugged it in.  It works perfectly.  Nate called his dad and got the story on the maker.  Grandpa Powell had bought it for Grandma because she loved ice cream so much.  They attempted to make it twice and decided that buying it at the store was easier. ;0)  It was never used again. 

It took a little longer than it said it would for the ice cream to be done.  But I think we learned that next time we just need to use more salt.  It was so yummy!  Thadd really wants to try and make Cookies and Cream next time.  I'm pretty sure that we will be using this machine quite a bit this summer. :0)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Brings back memories of many of our summer activities with the family. I can't wait to try some of yours!

Bonnie said...

Looks great, and how festive is that ice cream maker? I love that you are making some good use out of it. Your ice cream looks great and it is even hard which is really rare with home made ice cream. Good Job